If you are bored with the Windows default icon set, here is how to add new icons to Windows 8.
Adding Desktop icons
Although Windows 8 offers much more with its Metro style UI, you can still have the desktop with all new fancy and custom icons. Read the steps below to add new desktop icons.
1. Step In the Metro Start Menu, click on the lower left corner. The Start menu pops up. Click on Search.
2. Step From the Apps list that appears, click on Control Panel.
3. Step In the Control Panel, click on More Settings. This will take you to Control Panel main window.
4. Step Click on Personalization.
5. Step In the left pane, click on Change desktop icons.
6. Step In the Desktop Icon Settings, select the icon you want to change and click on Change Icon.
7. Step Now browse to the icon file .ico or select icons from the list below and click Ok.
Icons can be downloaded as .ico files or a collections as .dlls. You can find some amazing icons here.