When you’re upgrading Windows 8 to 8.1, you may encounter the error “Your Windows License Will Expire Soon”. Here’s how to fix that problem in less than 5 minutes
Why Does This Error Appear?
The Windows activation system uses an executable called slui.exe. Unfortunately, sometimes during an upgrade Windows fails to properly “reactivate” a Windows license. In this case, you need to do it manually. Follow the instructions outlined below to manually rearm your Windows copy and make the error disappear. Before you do that disable any security software temporarily.
Using Slui.Exe To Rearm Windows 8.1
0. Disable AVG, Firewalls
1. Step Before we try to manually reactivate Windows 8.1, you want to make sure there are no other corrupt system files. That’s why it is a good idea to repair all system files. This still works the same way it did in Windows 7 and Vista (For A Detailed Guide Click Here).
2. Step Open an elevated command prompt and enter sfc.exe /scannow – wait until it has been completed
3. Step Alright, we can now proceed with the reactivation: Hit Windows key + R and enter slui.exe 3
4. Step Enter your product key. If the activation fails, proceed below.
5. Step Ok, the default activation failed. Let’s try it over phone then (fully automated process, a machine will provide the code unless it fails again):
Hit Windows key + R and enter slui.exe 4
This will immediately open a popup that will tell you to call and provide an installation id. The number is toll-free and the system is fully automated. In the case that the activation is unsuccessful, the Microsoft support staff can be of help.
Simply state the reasons why you are re-activating, e.g. hard drive change or a recent upgrade and they will provide a code that you can use to activate Windows 8 without any problems. This even works without internet access, so no worries, no connection is required, only a legitimate product key.
6. Step By default, Windows 8 can be rearmed 999 times so it is unlikely that will be a problem.
To verify that hit Windows key + R and enter slmgr.vbs /dlv
7. Step If you still receive the error “This Windows license will expire soon”, it is a good idea to do some troubleshooting. What else could be causing this issue? Common problems like slui.exe – 0x80072EE2 and other errors can show up.
What Does Error 0xC004F061 Mean?
It means you tried to use an upgrade license but no previous Windows version was installed. In essence, you bought an upgrade key but need a full product code unless you have a product key of a previous Windows version. If you have a previous Windows version, install that first then run the upgrade procedure. Yes, this takes a little time, but is the smoothest way, else you have to spend a lot of money for a full product key.
Troubleshooting Error 0x80072EE2
Firewalls like AVG may prevent Windows from successfully reactivating a license when you’re trying to reactivate a license over the internet. Other culprits often include overly protective antivirus and privacy tools. Make sure to disable it temporarily before you upgrade. Possibly uninstall it before upgrading to 8.1
- Pirated License
Make sure the vendor who sold you the Windows copy was not using a pirated license.