If you have a SSD or you are getting one for Christmas, you should make sure to check your SSD settings. Most importantly, check if TRIM is enabled.
We have previously explained how to enable TRIM on Windows 7 , but it’s been some time and I wanted to make sure this setting is still enabled (not that it would change itself, but you never know)
1. Step Open up an elevated command prompt
2. Step Copy this
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
3. Step Paste it into the command prompt and hit enter
4. Step If you get DisableDeleteNotify = 0 then TRIM is successfully enabled.
5. Step If you want to optimize Windows 7 for your SSD, you should read our SSD Optimization + Buying Guide for Windows 7 (see links below)
SSD Optimization Tips
- Turn of swap files (buy more RAM instead)
- Turn off Superfetch (controversial, I wouldn’t touch it)
- Turn off Windows Indexing
- Disable Write Cache on your SSD
- Firefox + SSD: Use memory cache
- Turn off Prefetch (controversial, I wouldn’t touch it, Link will follow)
- SSD Alignment on Windows XP (Windows 7 aligns partitions correctly, so does Vista)