Disabling the swap file in Windows or changing its size is really simple and most of you will already know how to do it in Windows 7, 10 or 11. We do not recommend disabling the swap file on a normal HDD, this is for SSD’s only.
If you disable the paging file on your SSD, it will increase the longevity of your SSD, because you will have less disk writes. The more disk drives per day, the shorter the life of your SSD. Disk space on solid state drives is also very expensive right now, so you don’t want to waste valuable disk space on a SSD. Instead buy more RAM! Cheaper right now.
We verified that the process below also works on Windows 11 on February 14, 2023
1. Step Click on Start
2. Step Enter SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe into the search field
3. Step In the fieldset Performance at the top click on Settings
4. Step Go to the tab Advanced and click on Change at the bottom right!
5. Step Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
6. Select your SSD drive, e.g. Volume E:
7. At the bottom select No paging file, click on Set
8. StepConfirm with OK
The paging file on your SSD is now disabled. Hopefully, this will increase the life span of your SSD.