Many Windows themes have their own icons and if you enable your theme to change your icons then the new icons will be automatically installed when you apply new themes but in some cases you may have to install new icons manually. Here’s how to install icons manually in Windows 8
Steps to properly install icons in Windows 8 manually
1. Step Open the Desktop by clicking Desktop tile on the Start Screen.
2. Step Next, Right click on your desktop and select Personalize.
3. Step Next, click on the ‘Change desktop icons’ located at the top-left pane.
4. Step Next, select / check the icons you want to show on your desktop. Also, select / check ‘Allow themes to change desktop icons’.
5. Step Next, to install icons you will have to assign each icon manually after clicking on change icon of each icons like Computer, Network etc. Click on the Computer and click on Change icon.
5. Step Next, locate the icons you have saved to your computer. Click on the browse button and locate your *.ico file. Then click on the Open button. Finally click on the OK button. Then click Apply and again confirm with OK. Repeat same process for other icons like Control Panel, Network, Recycle Bin etc. That are the complete steps to install icons in Windows 8.
Icons allows you to quickly access your program / applications instantly by simply double clicking on it. You may want to use nice icons so that your desktop or other folders have a more appealing design. You can download some nice icons from site like iconarchive.com, iconspedia.com. We have a bunch of Windows 7 themes that include nice icons as well.