I ran into some problems with OpenOffice the other day, here’s a fix / solution to the problem “requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task”.
1. Step Open Office and confirm the error message:
2. Step Great, now click on Tools – Options
3. Step Uncollapse OpenOffice.org and select the subitem Java
4. Step The program may list Java runtime environments JRE that are already installed. Select it e.g. Sun Microsystems Inc. Version 1.6.0_31 – this is JRE u31 (update 31)
5. Step Confirm the selection with Ok
6. Step (OPTIONAL) Optionally, if no JRE is listed, download Java from here and then make sure to reboot after installing it, then repeat step 1-4 again. If it’s still not listed you may want to verify that the Java installer you downloaded is not corrupt or that it installed properly
For me this fixed the issue and I am no longer getting the annoying error message OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task
I have exactly the same problem using OOO330m20 build9567, with exactly the same version of Java, 1.6.0_31. Selecting it in the Tools/Options does not remove the problem.
For example, when I try to perform a search in Help it gives the same error and the Jave version shows as selected. This is after a restart of OOO after selection of Java. Can anyone suggest anything further?
Thanks for this perfectly clear explanation. I’d been baffled and frustrated by this JRE error message in LibreOffice for months (just giving up each time, after not finding help on the web), hoping that the next update would solve the issue. But all I had to do was clue the program that I had a JRE and that it should use it. Wow. How complex?>?